Many Uses of Emergent Readers

First, I just have to say only in Michigan do you have 60 and sunny and the next day you are back to winter like weather (cloudy and 40)! Ethan and I made sure to enjoy the beautiful weather though and took a walk and went to the park, which was packed.

Anyways, this is something I have been meaning to post about and keep forgetting too. I have a wide range of students! Some students are completely nonverbal or have a very limited vocabulary and then I have the other extreme that are able to read a simple book. Instead of making multiple different activities I use emergent readers a lot at my language center to meet all there needs.

Here is how:
Have your students attempt to repeat the picture or phrase.

Have students repeat the sentence and if possible read the sentence to you.



Have students find sight words.

By using jus this one book (from Hubbard's Cupboard) I am able to meet all of student's needs! I have previously shared this IEP data collection sheet I keep, but I will share it again. This is where their speech and language goals are kept so I know what type of instruction they need. 


If you have any great teaching tips for special needs students share at The Resource Room Teacher



I hope you have a great rest of your Sunday!



5 comments

  1. Hi Kate! Thanks so much for linking up! This seems like a great idea to meet all of your students' varying needs! Thank you for sharing =)

    Ashley
    The Resource Room Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Ashley at The Resource Room Teacher and I'm so glad I did! I am your newest follower :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Hubbard Cupboard had printable books! YEAH! Another free resource! This is great.

    Angelia
    Extra Special Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome ideas Kate - this would definitely work in my classroom!

    - Sasha

    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
  5. i found your blog through The Resource Room Teacher. I love your suggestions about how you differentiate for all the different levels of readers that you have.

    ReplyDelete

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top