An Apple a Day-Small Group


I am linking up with Leigh at The Applicious Teacher

Small Group is a HUGE part of our day and when I taught Kindergarten it was too. My small group time is centers. For my little ones (2.5-3) it is about 8 minutes per small group center and for my older ones (3-6 years old) it can be up to 20 minutes per center.

I have three centers: language/ academic (my center), fine motor center (my aides) and social or play center. The kids rotate through each center. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of my center board, but this is what it looks like, but this is the idea.



Each group consists of 3-4 students (I have 12am and 12pm). The kids love the routine and learn to look at their picture and move to their designated area. I use a timer to signal when the center is over.


At my center (academic/language) we either play a game, do an emergent reader book, or some other type of academic activity. I adjust each of the activities to each group and that means sometimes multiple activities that are similar. I also use visuals for cut, paste, trace, write, color, etc. from boardmaker.

Sometimes to get my students to the center I will use a first/ then card or use a transition object. You can get that here.


At the fine motor center they may practice their IEP fine motor goals, do an art project, or work on lacing, using tongs, etc.

The social/play center is where they can play in the rice table, kitchen, legoes, etc.

When choosing what group starts where I try to keep that the same. I also know what students need to work for the play center and that group starts the fine motor center, then me, then play. It is a big motivator. Certain students that can handle fluctuating groups may be put in a different group depending on the skills I am working on or if a group has a couple of kids missing on that day, but most of the time the groups stay the same. Early finishers at the fine motor table get to play with puzzles and magna doodles or something else that can be done at a table. My early finishers get to play in the sensory bin or I rotate different toys in and out that work on skills that coordinate with the theme or what we are learning that week.
Whew! That was a  lot of information! I am looking forward to reading what others do during small groups. They are such an integral part of the day because this is when my aid and I can really focus in on what each of my students need specifically. The work chosen is challenging, but not too hard because I don't want them getting too frustrated and upset. The activities done also coordinate with their IEP goals.


Well, I hope this provides you some new ideas to try and I am hoping to find some
new ideas myself. Happy Sunday!

1 comment

  1. Love your explanation of your centers! Thanks for the freebie, too. It is great. :)
    Preschool Wonders

    ReplyDelete

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.