Teacher Tip Tuesday



Well, after a fun play date at the park with a friend of mine and her kids I have to say I am pretty tired out. However, I think Ethan is still raring to go. How do little  ones have so much energy?!

Anyways, I am linking up with Kindergarten Smiles for New Teacher Tips. I remember how anxious and excited I was my first year of teaching Kindergarten. One thing for new teacher...I think that when you start in a new position you are a new teacher all over again. I remember when I started teaching ECSE and a lot of the same feelings and the anticipation of something new was the same as my first year and because it was a different school and grade it was very different from my previous experiences.

What have I learned from being a new teacher?

1. You can't do everything. I had LOTS of plans and ideas and because of time and just learning a new curriculum and getting a feel for the school, my students, and co-workers I didn't have time to get everything I wanted accomplished and that is OKAY! Do what you can, keep a note and try to tackle that next year.
2. Get to know your students AND parents on a personal level as much as possible. The more they know that you sincerely care the more easily you are able to tackle challenging issues more easily. And the more respect you have from everyone.



3. Have a management plan and stick to it! Some things that work with one group may not work with another, but at least you have a starting point. Have high expectations and make sure to be consistent on how you deal with certain behaviors because the kids do notice and learn from each other.



4. Have fun and be creative. Just coming out of school you have LOTS of ideas and try some of them out. Some plans will be a disaster and some will go amazingly well. Keep notes on what worked, what didn't, and what you could change to possibly make it work better next time if it is something you'd like to pursue.
positive quotes 18 Start your week off with positive thoughts (19 photos)


What tips do you have for new teachers? Make sure to check out some of the other great tips from teachers too. It always nice to have a friendly reminder or an oh-yeah...maybe I should do that. Happy Tuesday!

2 comments

  1. I love this!! Thank you!! I am finishing up my first year as a second grade teacher, and I am going in to next year as a third grade special education teacher so I will be new all over again. Please keep these tips coming!

    Meredith
    fromafirstyearteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your tips! I love your tip #1. It is a great reminder that I know I really can't do everything (I'm not Wonder Woman!) This upcoming school year I'm going to be a first time kindergarten teacher in China. So it's going to a crazy ride being in a new school, let alone a new country!!

    Andrea
    Cheers To School

    ReplyDelete

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top