An Apple a Day-Homework Help!

 
I am linking up with Leigh at The Applicious Teacher for an An Apple a Day linky.


This is something that I struggle with and would love some suggestions and feedback to make this more effective. My homework involves the students getting involved with the parents. At the end of each weekly note I have an activity or suggestion to try with their child. I send home the corresponding things needed (cut out shapes or color cards, ABC cards, tips on reading to your child, etc.) However, I know that really only probably 2-3 of my parents last year did these tasks with their child. They are not long tasks (it may be reading a book to their child, playing with play-doh, using scissors with their child, helping to teach their child to zip their coat or backpack, etc.), but only these 2-3 parents do them. Last summer, I spent a lot of time finding the necessary resources and things that are simple, but skills that all of my students need help with and it was disappointing when only a few parents really worked with their child. Any tips or suggestions?! I would like this year's try with this to be way more effective, but I am not sure what to do.


I am also linking up with Christina at Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge

 
Fortunately we have a basement and spare bedroom still!
 
 


 
The big box at the bottom I need to go through.
 
Have a relaxing Sunday!



6 comments

  1. You're lucky you have a place to stash your piles! Mine are taking over my dining room!

    Thanks for linking up!

    Christina
    *Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge*

    ReplyDelete
  2. We give homework daily, but have expectations that it must be done. Maybe a reward system would encourage parent's to do the work with their kiddo! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I love your piles! You should see my dining room table! Parental involvement with homework is tricky. Like Kim said above, I give it nightly so it is part of their routine. I also agree with the reward system. Maybe you could send home a weekly "menu" of activities that students and parents could complete together. At the end of the week, the students could "show off" their new skill, or have some sort of small reward for completing their homework. I love Christina's homework club! Best of luck and thanks for linking up!

    Leigh
    The Applicious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely think I may try doing a reward system with some choices for what the parents work on with them. The showing off of the new school I think would also be something the kids would love! Thanks again for the great ideas!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the piles linky....I think I need to check that out! I have some piles going too! Have you ever tried incorporating the skills into projects? When my own kiddos were in kindergarten their homework was always something we needed to make as a family (sock puppet, Thanksgiving turkey, holiday decoration for the classroom, etc.) They were fun to make and my kids were jazzed to make them because everyone else was doing it too. So it was never a nightly affair, but something we could take a week to do. Just a thought! I love this linky, there are so many great ideas out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather I love that idea too. It may be something that would encourage more participation. I may have to incorporate that in every once in awhile and see if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top