Keep Calm and Craft On

Keep calm and craft on, beauty lovers!



Well, this past Monday I had a scare when my blood pressure sky rocketed up. I am considered high risk this pregnancy because I went into preeclampsia with Ethan and unfortunately after labor and delivery it took me two years to finally get my b.p. back to normal. During this pregnancy so far my b.p. has been great and I was all excited because I was and still am hoping not to have to get magnesium and go through the ordeal I did last labor and delivery. So on Monday I was admitted to the hospital and monitored for 24 hours. Fortunately everything got under control and Madi is doing fabulous! I am also truly thankful for the other ECSE teacher. She is taking everything in stride and helping me out immensely. I had things ready and have been trying to get as much assessing done as possible, but things were not quite as in place as I would have liked.

Since I am suppose to be doing as little activity as possible I decided to do some of the many crafts I have on my list for school.

This one was not quite as easy as I thought it would be and it doesn't look glamorous, but the kids should enjoy it. I got the idea from the Considerate Classroom. 
Links will be attached to the hooks (3m hooks) and students will take the links off and sort them into the correct color. I used a velveeta box for the box and paint sticks (thanks to my sister- she works at Sherwin Williams) for the rods.


I got this wait stick idea also from the Considerate Classroom. She had circles with the kids names,but I think I am going to use their picture with their name below or I may mix it up and use names for the kids that are ready and pictures for the ones that aren't. The pictures will be placed on the stick in the order that they will be waiting their turn. I also included a picture of wait and have made additional pictures of wait for the kids that get really anxious about their turn. I have a student this year that I wish I could have used this with because I think this would have helped him A LOT!  


I also have made some interactive boards for my students with ASD and that are nonverbal to make them more included in the activities. This idea came from Sasha at The Autism Helper. I have only three choices unlike her board with lots because I think it will be less overwhelming for the kids. 

I color coded each of the boards too (I just use corrugated cardboard). 

This is for after we read a story: What you see? I see a ____. 

I am going to use my vocab theme cards that I made last summer and will correlate with our book for the kids to pick out what they see. 


At the end of the day we usually sing a song and the kids get to pick sometimes what we sing so this gives those students a choice in the song. 


I want to dance to...I usually let the kids pick the songs during movement so they can choose what they would like to sing. and I want to read... at the end of the day if we have time we will read a book that the kids choose. Those are some of their favorites shown. I am storing the choices in a baggie on the back of the board.




This will be great for centers. I got the idea from Melissa at The Autism Adventures of Room 83
I have pictures of the three centers that my students complete (play/social, language/academic, and fine motor) and the boxes coordinate to the tables where the centers are done at. This will be great for some of my kiddos that need the extra encouragement to complete their work. 


I found this placemat at Little Miss Kimberly Ann. I have adjusted it to meet my kiddos needs. The kids will pick I want and the food that we are eating that day (we do group snack and the kids don't get a choice). This will get the students communicating with us. The same for the drink. I will place the snack picture (crackers, goldfish, etc.) as the choice and the students can move it up to the place-mat area to communicate that with us. I am going to attach this to our cabinet next to the snacks. 


Last, but not least, our end of the year gifts came in and I attached the tag for kids. I made tags for the other ECSE teacher as well so she doesn't have to worry about it since she is helping me out in a huge way!


I hope you are having a great Wednesday! 



No comments

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top