Book Talk Tuesday

One of the books I loved to read to my little ones in Kindergarten was  Ish by Peter Reynolds. It's a story of a little boy who loves to draw, but when his older brother makes fun of him he no longer likes to draw because he is looking for perfection. However, his younger sister loves the drawing because they are "flower-ish". I always used this at the beginning of the year for writer's workshop because it teaches the kids that the pictures don't have to be perfect as long as you try your best.



I plan on starting writing journals with my little ones next year and I plan to have a short little lesson about trying our best in drawing. I most likely will use this book again for that same purpose.




What books do you love? Make sure to link up your favorite books at Mrs. Jump's Class!

Happy Reading!



6 comments

  1. Kate, ISH! is one of my favorite books. It is one of the first books I read to my K4 class. I use it in connection to a weekly guided drawing book. We do guided drawing once a week and writer's workshop twice a week. Since doing guided drawing to writer's workshop I can attest to my students have much greater detailed and recognizeable drawings....all they had to get past was their own thoughts of "I can't draw" to "I can draw-ish" and that changed their outcome and process. It is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear the book has improved your kids drawing. I am hoping it will do the same for my little ones!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you both, Ish is fantastic! I also use it to start teaching my Kinders about journaling!
    Mrs. Spriggs’ Kindergarten Pond

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to check this book out. I still have some who aren't keen to have a go at things because they don't think they're good enough (especially drawing beyond a stick man!).
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love ISH! I use it in writing workshop with illustration, too. I had forgotten all about it. Note to self for next year! Thanks!
    Kathleen at Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love "Ish" . . . and all of Peter H. Reynolds' other books as well!

    Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top