Sunday, June 7, 2015

End of the Year Reflections

At the end of the year it is a great time to reflect on what worked this year and well, what didn't. I made A LOT of changes this past year and most were great, but some didn't work out quite as well as I intended or need to be tweaked. I am going to add links to the things that have worked and if I have not discussed it yet, I will so it may be something that can help you! :)

What worked:
  • Daily Behavior Calendar I loved this and it was a great communication tool for parents and simple for me to do daily! The idea came from The Cupcake for the Teacher! Love this!
  • Center Transition Sticks  This helped make transitions so smooth! 
  • Table Time This worked really well for my am class. A great way to ease into the day!
  • Work Boxes...I am going to be revisiting my system because this was a work in progress throughout the year, but my kids love doing them and it was a great way to review skills! Blog post coming soon!

  • Gross Motor Time Our Donor's Choose project gave us even more equipment to meet our students sensory and gross motor needs and this time helped decrease behavior problems. 
  • Center Visuals Help guide the group and individual students through what to do. 












  • Group Play...we have worked on properly teaching the students how to play with the items and how to appropriately interact with each other while playing. 
  • Progress Monitoring Binder...keeps me accountable each month!
  • Lesson Plan Binder...keeps me organized and makes sure I do not reuse all the same activities every year...especially since some of my little ones are with me for three years!
  • Snack Conversation Starters...gets them talking and interacting. 
  • Show and Tell Note My parents sent it in for their little ones and I could better understand what some of my little ones were trying to tell me. 
Needs to be Tweaked: 
  • Homework Calendar (thinking about doing monthly parent/ child project, having students cut out a picture and bring in something for the color and letter of the week and continuing show and tell Fridays). You can read about what I was doing here. Why it wasn't working: parents weren't doing it or were lying about it.  
  • Behavior Points WhyI liked the idea of it and I didn't have kids getting upset because of getting their color changed, but I had trouble giving out the popsicle sticks regularly...so I am going to be revamping that. Any ideas are welcomed!




Need to Put in Place:





  • Finishing up alphabet bags. I have been finding random items around my house that can be used for each letter (it is amazing all the little things your collect or your kids collect!). 



2 comments:

  1. Where did you get your alphabet bags? They are really adorable! I always enjoy your postings, you have such wonderful ideas to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those came from Really Good Stuff. I am not sure if they are still available or not. I have had them for a few years now.

      Delete