Work Box Organization System

This year was the first year I put work boxes into my daily routine. Last year I was just starting to compile some work boxes and wasn't sure how to incorporate them into my classroom. I only do these with the pm group as my am class are still just babies (2.5 years old and 3). The pm class is 4-5 years old and they have been in my classroom for a year already. Also, I did not start these right in September. I waited until October so I had some time to see what tasks would be most beneficial for my kiddos at that time. Some of my kids have a lot of regression over the summer and some make huge leaps so it is good to see where they are all at.  
So after some trial and error at the beginning of the year I came up with this system and it worked great! We do work boxes after they come in and put their belongings away. Each child has a picture on the clip and they pick their card and match it to the box. Once they complete the work box they put the card back. I only have them complete one a day as I am trying to ease them into being independent learners. Most of my students are able to do all the tasks. I have usually 1-2 students that need some assistance, but once modeled they are usually able to do it independently. If not my aid or myself will sit and help that individual. Once each child has done every work box once I change the work box tasks. This year I was still creating different work box tasks for them to do throughout the year so some that I did at the end of the year may get moved to being done at the beginning of the year because they were too easy for them and some that were done at the beginning of the year that they found way to challenging will be moved to the end of the year. The great thing is now I have enough tasks for all year long!


Here is the shelf where I keep the 12 containers. I have some different containers because I do like to use file folder games, which fit great in the three drawer pull out or if I have a sensory one I also put those in there so the kids have room to explore. The basket is for the manipulatives for odd containers that would not fit in the shoe box size ones or the drawers. I do recommend getting the containers from Target and not the dollar store. My dollar store ones cracked. My kids can be pretty rough with them. 


I definitely recommend incorporating work boxes into your daily routine. All of my students' independence has definitely increased and they look forward to doing them daily. I have had subs comment about how quickly they got to work and they were shocked because they did all by themselves. 

If you have any great work box ideas definitely link up with Chris at The Autism Classroom News. I love making new ones because I have some of my students in the pm class for two years and I like to keep things fresh for them! 



No comments

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.