Thursday, March 10, 2016

Making Classroom Rules Accessible


I have struggles with making my visuals accessible to my students and this year I tried this and it has helped a lot!

I have my class rules and green/ red choices up in the front of the room. Very accessible for circle time. They are are also very easy to get to when needed. To make the rules that much more accessible I have added a smaller picture of the rule underneath and attached it with velcro. If a child is struggling during circle time or any time throughout the day I take the picture off (instead of just pointing) and hand it to the child. The child is able to hold the picture until they are doing it. This also gives some of my students the opportunity to process what they are doing and what they need to be doing. It is quick and easy and does not take a lot of time from the other students during whole group. 


Red and green choices are also the new terminology I have been using this year. This has helped a lot! It is very clear cut for the students green is good and red are sad choices (I try to avoid the word bad because some of the students can't always control some of the things they do or they do not know that it isn't a good choice). 
These came from Jackie from Pocket of Preschool. She had a lot of picture choices but I just chose the ones that apply to my students specifically. I rarely pull from the red choices, but I will refer to it. 
For example, touching your friends is a red choice, a green choice is to keep your hands to yourself and I give them the green choice (the choice they should be making). Usually they stop doing the red choice and start doing the green choice. Making green choices is a big deal to my kiddos and they have started to recognize when they are making green and red choices and when others are making green or red choices. 
If a child recognizes their friend is making a red choice they will sometimes tell them that is a red choice and we have been working on how to do that appropriately. 
You can find the rules with pictures premade here or they are easy to make with your pre-existing classroom rules. It has helped a lot with whole group circle time and throughout the day! 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the idea. I may try this with one of my students and I can think of another teacher who might try this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has really helped some of my kiddos in my classroom! I hope it helps you too! :)

      Delete