All About Work Boxes

Work Boxes! I love them! You can meet student's individual needs and IEP goals easily and a lot of the activities can be created with items that are around your house. Also, the kids love them! 
How Do You Organize Work Boxes?!
One of the challenges I have been having is how to organize all of these tasks. I have tried a couple of ways and they have been very unsuccessful. So this year I plan on getting tubs and sorting them by skill. 
I got the labels from Teaching Special Thinkers. 
I am using a variety of different crates because some of the materials I have are oddly shaped, while others are able to be contained easily. I keep the individual tasks in plastic bags. 
Crates being used: milk crates, locker crates, drawers. 
I have one of these that I am using to store some of the tasks. (Sterlite 3 Drawer Wide Cart).
I am in the process of organizing these tasks, but once finished I will definitely be sharing. :)

The labels I am going to be using are from Teaching Special Thinkers check them out here. 
Some of the tubs will be combined because I either do not have a lot of those tasks or it is an activity that meets multiple skills.
How Do I Run Work Box Tasks?!
We do work boxes after they come in and put their belongings away. Each child has a picture on the clip and they pick their card and match it to the box. Once they complete the work box they put the clip back. I only have them complete one a day as I am trying to ease them into being independent learners. Most of my students are able to do all the tasks. I have usually 1-2 students that need some assistance, but once modeled they are usually able to do it independently. If not my aid or myself will sit and help them, but that is pretty rare. Once each child has done every work box once I change the work box tasks. 
Here is the shelf where I keep the 12 containers. I have some different containers because I do like to use file folder games, which fit great in the three drawer pull out or if I have a sensory one I also put those in there so the kids have room to explore. The basket is for the manipulatives for odd containers that would not fit in the shoe box size ones or the drawers. I do recommend getting the containers from Target and not the dollar store. My dollar store ones cracked. My kids can be pretty rough with them. 


How Am I Going to Track Student's Progress?!
Now that I have a consistent aid in my room we are going to split up the kids and track the progress of 6 each. All 12 work boxes are going to be listed at the top.
This is the data sheet I intend on using:

You can grab the freebie here
Now for some Work Box Ideas and Freebies:
Tall or Short Popsicle Identification (not pictured)

You can grab the recording sheet that I use with my kiddos here. 

I found these popsicle stick matching patterns from The Connection We Share. 


These color matching frogs are from The Kindergarten Connection



I definitely recommend incorporating work boxes into your daily routine. All of my students' independence has definitely increased and they look forward to doing them daily. I have had subs comment about how quickly they got to work and they were shocked because they did the tasks all by themselves. :) Thanks for stopping by!

Workbasket Wednesday Linkup for Structured Work Systems and Independent Work Systems

No comments

All documents are copyright protected. Please do not alter my documents in anyway.... Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top